The Battle

Thursday, March 21, 2013
Before the holidays (yes, I know that was months ago), I was excited, motivated, and driven to launch SimplyMui Photography as Salt Lake City's newest family portrait photographer. While talking to various families about their experiences and seeing portraits they have had done, I quickly became deflated.

Educating people about the value of professional photography has always been something of an uphill battle, especially now when digital photography is so readily accessible. The quality of consumer and prosumer cameras are pretty impressive, especially for the price point. And EVERYONE has a cell phone with built-in camera. And many people fiddle with Instagram to add funky cool effects to their otherwise mundane images.

All that I can deal with, because my images are unique. My clients are overjoyed when they see the portraits of their loved ones. I have my ability to bring out and capture someone's true personality, not just their fake camera smile. I know lighting and styling. I have professional hardware and software, and more importantly, the skills and ability to use professional equipment properly. I am thoughtful about the details and know how to treat people. I have the taste level, talent and artistic vision to produce beautiful images, and the self control to not over-tweak the saturation, contrast, sharpness, and not to turn faces into over-softened "glam" plastic mannequins.

What I can't deal with? The numerous professional photographers in this area who are giving away their livelihood. So many here have studios, wardrobe, equipment, bills to pay, and they offer sessions with digital files for such a small price -- for less than it would cost to go to Sears, JCPenney or Target. If their work was the department store quality, run by high schoolers whose job is to sit people and randomly push a button on the camera, then I would understand. But, no, we are talking about real photographers, with years of experience, and the ability to create lovely images. This blows my mind. It's one thing for people to not understand the value of a portrait, but for professional photographers to undervalue themselves and hurt the industry, I can't understand.

The truth is, the general public has no idea how much it cost to be a photographer. There's a huge discrepancy between perception and reality.


And many people want photography services for free. There are ads all over Craigslist offering photographers the opportunity to gain experience in exchange for their time and images. Imagine asking that of doctors, plumbers, accountants or any service industry.



And many people get into photography thinking it's an easy career with a small start-up cost. Photographer Hayley Juliet elegantly demystifies this on her blog: http://blog.hayleyjuliet.com/2012/11/27/the-truth/

So, yes, I am frustrated. Am I giving up on photography in Utah? No. Photography is in my heart, in my blood, I can't breathe without it. But I do have to re-evaluate and re-strategize. No worries, I am not hanging up my camera. Without compromising integrity, my photography business will find a way to thrive here or anywhere else I may find myself in the country.

Stay tuned.



Mui
Photographic Artist
SimplyMui Photography

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is your studio located?

Mui said...

I shoot on location, whether at a client's home, out at parks or whatnot. For commercial shoots, I work with local businesses to gain access to their spaces. Currently I am in the Salt Lake City area, but I plan on being in VA/MD/DC and TX occasionally each year.

Post a Comment