Change & Seizing the Moment

Thursday, September 20, 2012
It's been a long furlough! Summer vacation, sudden relocation orders, traveling with kids, settling into a new house in a new state, kids starting school, oh my!

We landed in Salt Lake City, UT -- an amazing place with wonderfully mild weather and gorgeous mountains all around. Soon, I'll be posting previews of portraits from the Beehive State.

Between the move from Texas to Utah, we took a detour back to the DC area. It was wonderful to see my friends and visit favorite places. Even more, it was wonderful to see my parents and for them to see how much the grandkids had grown in the last year. In a rare turn of events, my brothers resurfaced and it was an impromptu reunion.

With all her kids home, my Mom shed her worries and was happy through and through. It was late, most of us had our pajamas on and were winding down for the night. It dawned on me that the whole family hasn't been together in the same place at the same time in a decade. I seized the moment, gave everyone 15 minutes notice to get dressed and upstairs for some long overdue family portraits.

This meant I also only had 15 minutes to prep a cramped space, figure out lighting (I only had one on-camera strobe with me), set up a borrowed camera, and get myself dressed and do make-up. Rushed and unexpected, this was an occasion I couldn't let slip through my fingers. Things weren't perfect, but the family was all together. And family is everything.

XOXO
Mui Chao
Photographic Artist
SimplyMui Photography
mui@simplymui.com












0 comments:

Post a Comment